Aww, this little face broke my heart. We were in the truck coming home from picking our Christmas tree out, and she looks at me and says, "Do we die?"........ I was not expecting that.... at all. I looked at her and gave a simple yes. Then, I tried to ease her mind by explaining to her that is not some thing she needs to worry about because she has so many fun and wonderful years ahead, and to look how long her Oma and Opa have been around.When the time comes for them to pass away I believe they will be with God, and they will be happy, watching over their family till we all meet again. She cried. It broke my heart. Jayce immediately said you should have told her no. He looked at her and said, "it's ok Sissy, we don't die". He was upset that she was so sad. Luckily kids bounce back really fast because she had her moment of sadness, then she was fine. She decorated the tree, laughing and drinking hot cocoa. Since then they both brought it up again, but they seem ok with it. We talked about God, heaven, our spirits and bodies. I answered their questions as carefully as I could, and it was over. For now, anyway.
This story brings me to another one that happened yesterday. We all were in Walmart and Jayce asked me what is divorce. I answered him, but then he asked why so and so got divorced. Ahh, I didn't want to say because they fought or didn't get along anymore. My reasoning is for one it was more than that- cheating was involved, but even more so I didn't want him to think the next time his mommy and daddy get into an argument it means we are getting divorce. So once I again, I tell him the simple truth. I say it in a way that his age could understand. He seem to get it. I explained that when I married Daddy he became my boy forever, and I became his girl forever, but some times people make bad choices and they find another boy or girl to be with that is not their husband or wife. It's called cheating. I asked do you understand and he said yes.
Now did he really get it, did I say too much to him and Jadyn, or did I not say enough???? These are the questions parents ask themselves after moments like these two incidents. I guess my motto is just be honest. I may not have to divulge every little thing, but I can try and answer them as simply as I can for their age. I want them to always feel like they can come to us, and ask us anything. Mainly, I want them to know they can trust us. I know there are plenty of questions in our future. I pray that we can find the words to answer them-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
WOW those are some tough ones. I've gotten "do we die?" from Jordan and I gave the same answer. It's hard for adults to understand so I can only imagine how confusing it is to children. I agree that honesty and simplicity are best in these situations. All you can do is trust your gut.
I cried, smiled and laughed. Your such a great person, mother and wife. I am so thankful I have you as a friend. Thank you for sharing this with us.
@Christina- thats true.."trust your gut"
@Libby- aww thank ya girly!! I think you are amazing too! Thank you for being you and making me smile!!
Honesty, in small, age-appropriate doses, is always the best policy. I think you handled it beautifully.
Missy
I definitely have gotten some difficult questions. (You know my situation) I always keep it simple but honest. You never tell them more than they can handle. Try to keep it what you think is age appropriate. Eventually they will get tougher but honesty and giving them just enough to be satisfied is best. I think you responded fine!
Post a Comment